The State Employees Bargaining Agent Coalition (SEBAC) serves to unite all 15 unions representing approximately 45,000 full-time equivalent Connecticut state public service workers together to address issues of common concern. The coalition was recognized in 1986 by Public Act 86-411 to negotiate with the State on healthcare and retirement security, which impact its individual unions’ active members, as well as retirees.
Members of individual unions are covered by 34 contracts, as well as a long-term healthcare and pension agreement SEBAC negotiated in 1997, which is effective through 2017. Over the past 20 years, the coalition has helped to save hundreds of millions in taxpayer dollars while providing quality, affordable care through its work with the State on the Health Care Cost Containment Committee.
Each union and its individual bargaining units have internal ratification processes requiring votes to reach agreement on contract on issues related to wages, hours and working conditions excluding health care and pensions. Some of SEBAC’s unions require lengthy voting timetables, and each union determines its leadership decision authority.
While most of SEBAC’s decisions are made by consensus of the coalition, there are formal procedures that determine how votes may be cast, and allocates them based on the membership of individual unions. All agreements must be voted upon and ratified under each individual union’s democratic rules.
Click here to download the official bylaws of the coalition, as amended in October of 1996.
The unions covered by SEBAC are:
- Administrative and Residual Employees Union/AFT Local 4200
- AFT Connecticut
- American Association of University Professors – Connecticut State University
- American Association of University Professors – UCONN
- American Association of University Professors – UCONN Health Center
- American Federation of State, County, & Municipal Employees – Council 4
- Connecticut Federations of School Administrators Local 61
- Congress of Connecticut Community Colleges/SEIU Local 1973
- Connecticut Association of Prosecutors
- Connecticut Employees Union Independent/SEIU Local 511
- Connecticut State Police Union
- CSEA SEIU Local 2001
- International Brotherhood of Police Officers/SEIU Local 731New England
- Healthcare Employees Union, District 1199/SEIU
- Protective Services Employees Coalition/IAFF-IUPA
Members of the coalition’s individual unions work in a wide variety of State agencies, serving Connecticut citizens in many areas that affect all of our daily lives, such as:
- Public health
- Social services
- Public safety
- Environmental protection
- Criminal justice
- Services for the blind and developmentally disabled
Members of SEBAC’s unions share the same values as the public they serve, because they are taxpayers and recipients of these same services, too. State public service workers know the value of working together as a collective force, and amplify their voice when joining forces on common issues. That’s why SEBAC also carries its members’ message to legislators and decision-makers at the State Capitol, and coordinates joint activities to advocate on broader issues that are important to all of Connecticut’s working families.